Wednesday 10 December 2008

Replacing the old with the slightly less old

I am about halfway into my 40 days before Christmas fast... and it's not a fast per se, I just can't think of another word to describe it. It's my Christmas version of Lent, without any religious undertones. Though this one only started a few years ago when I decided that because the holidays tended to be a time when my good habits went out the window, I would give up some of my more offensive habits in the 40 days leading up to the big holiday in hopes of avoiding a completely unproductive/unhealthy/unattractive holiday season.

Last year I painstakingly gave up soda and biting my nails. Both of which I dove right back into feasting on when the mood struck me. This year, I've given up chocolate and biting my nails. Now, I have no intention of kicking chocolate out of my life on a permanent basis - in fact, I don't eat all that much chocolate during the year as it is (however, at this time of year I tend to say "yes" to at least three too many chocolate chip cookies, cups of hot chocolate, chocolate cupcakes, etc. so it seemed like a good time to cut it out) - but biting my fingernails is something I would like to stop permanently.

It shouldn't be so hard to stop biting them, as I have no desire to do so whatsoever during the 40 days that I give up on my annoying habit, but it has proven to be more difficult to stop it indefinitely. There is, however, one trick that seems to work for me: nail polish. As long as my nails are painted, I spend much more time tending to the chips and dents in the polish than I do clipping and filing my nails with my teeth. So, my new habit is painting my fingernails.

In addition, I was shopping last night and came across a lovely ball of yarn and before I knew it I was on my way to knitting myself a lovely, cosy, warm scarf. I will, of course, show off the finished product but for now....

---
And now, just for fun, a Christmas Survey:


When do you start Christmas shopping?
- Generally around late October when something with a red SALE sticker on it catches my eye as a cool breeze floats in through an open shop door.

Are you finished shopping?
- No, but I am nearly finished.

How many people are you buying for?
- Ten

What are you leaving out for Santa?
- Most likely nothing (because Santa is usually in bed before I am on Christmas Eve), but I'm considering leaving him a beer and a glass of Bailey's

Name 3 things you want for Christmas:
- Nintendo DS, Foo Fighters Live at Wembley DVD, a job in London

Are you traveling this year?
- Not for Christmas... but my big move is on the 29th!

If so, Where to?
- London, baby

Do you have a fireplace/ chimney?
- Nope

Favorite things to get in your stocking?
- Spearmint chewing gum

Any family traditions?
- The four of us each open one gift on Christmas Eve then mum and dad go back upstairs to finish wrapping presents while Scott and I go downstairs to watch one of the many Christmas movies on TV.

What foods does your family have every year at Christmas?
- Always turkey and some kind of potatoes... everything else changes year to year

Who is the most fun to buy for?
- Scott, because he doesn't specify what he wants. He just says things like, "Some clothes, maybe a DVD or something?" So I get to choose what I think is best!

Who is the easiest to buy for?
- Mum because it's always easy to find a book she'd like to read, or some earrings she'll just love.

Who is the hardest to buy for?
- Dad because he doesn't read and doesn't have any hobbies. He always insists that we don't buy him anything and then a day or two before Christmas when I've finished all my shopping says, "You know what you can get me..."

Who gives the best gifts?
- My family spoils me at Christmas. But I have to say my brother really does buy the things I like. Probably because he asks me what I want, I tell him, and he gets it... sometimes he buys something and forgets he's bought it and buys something else. That's when I get lots of presents!

Any movies/specials you have to watch every year?
- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation or Scrooged or Home Alone.

Who passes out the presents?
- Scott and I take turns crawling under the tree to reach the gifts.

Main stores you have shopped at this year:
- So far Indigo, Gap, The Bay, BMV, and Future Shop

What kind of tree do you have?
- We're going to cut it down this weekend. It will likely be some kind of spruce tree.

What are your 3 favorite ornaments on your tree?
- The red snowflake my cousin Leanne made for us when I was little is my favourite because it's red and Leanne made it. The Eskimo fishing has always been a favourite because it's been around so long. Santa and Mrs. Claus are also special because they have to hang next to each other and it's always a tricky task finding two branches strong enough to hold them that close together.

What adorns the top of your tree?
- Usually my dad because he's the tallest, but I'm pretty sure I climbed on a chair and did it last year.

Do you collect anything Christmasy?
- Just cards

Whose kids are you buying for this year?
- Anna's son

Can you name all 9 reindeer?
- Yes

Ever watch Ernest Saves Christmas?
- Yes, ages ago

What's your favorite Christmas drink?
- Mulled wine or hot apple cider

Do you like Eggnog?
- No

What flavor candy canes do you like?
- Peppermint

When do you take your tree down?
- Usually January 2

Is Christmas still magical for you?
- Yes, and I think it always will be

What is your favorite thing about Christmas?
- The excitement of Christmas Eve. That is my absolute favourite day of the year! I love the hustle and bustle of last minute shoppers, I love putting my gifts under the tree, and I love falling asleep at night trying to picture everyones faces as they open the things I got for them.

Do you donate at Christmas time?
- I usually give money to the Salvation Army bell ringers in the malls.

Do you make sure to remember the TRUE meaning of Christmas?
- I celebrate my family and my friends at Christmastime and try to remember that they are what really matters in life. That's what Christmas is to me.

How many nativity scenes do you have in your house?
- Just one.

Have you been naughty or nice?
- I am always nice.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I didn't know you can knit! And how can you not like eggnog?! Mmmmm...