Monday 5 January 2009

Greetings, from across the pond!

I finally made it back to England and the smile that has been planted on my face since last week Tuesday is enough to tell me I did, in fact, make the right decision.

I landed midday on Tuesday and met up with my old flatmate (and Vancouverite) Annie in the customs line. We collected our baggage and boarded a coach bound for Brighton. Two hours later, and a little bit groggy, we found a spacious taxi that brought us to Allison’s flat in Hove (actually). After discovering that a week without heat had made the flat cold enough so we could see our breath we turned on the heaters and left for the pub in hopes that they would warm up by the time we returned… they sort of did. The trouble with Alli’s flat is that it’s an older building and the insulation isn’t fantastic. So despite the electric heaters’ best efforts, we had a chilly first night back in England.

The following morning, New Year’s Eve day, I helped get Annie off to catch another coach at 6am. Spent a couple hours online (and should’ve update my blog, but didn’t think of it) and went back to bed. Only to wake up some hours later to catch a train to London for the end of year festivities at my friend Jack’s place.

The night was full of cheerful people, wine, good music, champagne, interesting conversation, beer, and a flat full of some old but mostly new friends. Now, I realise I may never see some of the people I met that night ever again (and honestly hope I don’t see a couple of them), but it was an enjoyable way to ring in 2009 and I was glad for the invite from Jack.

New Year’s Day I made my way back to Brighton, slowly. Spent the rest of that day relaxing and catching up with Allison (who arrived earlier that morning from Ottawa). Friday I spent enjoying the sunshine in Hove and went for a little walk around. In the evening caught up with my dear friend Rupert over some pints and a few rounds of Deal or No Deal (the electronic pub game, not the television show) and ended the evening with some chicken wings and the film GONE BABY GONE chez Rupert. A very enjoyable night indeed.

Saturday and Sunday were very relaxed. Allison, Chris and I went for some drinks and chips on Saturday afternoon and while we had planned to go out later that evening with Rachel, plans fell through when both Allison and I fell asleep around 7:30. It seems it takes a few days for the jet lag to really kick in when you’re keeping busy enough. I slept through the night because when I woke up around 10 with a sore throat and stuffed up nose I opted to catch up on sleep and try to will the sickness away. No such luck. Sunday was spent mostly in bed trying to stay warm and while we ventured out around 3 to pick up some food and such from Tesco, both Alli and I were full of sniffles all day.

And now it’s Monday. The sun is shining, apparently it snowed this morning (and of course I missed it) and though it’s a bit chilly outside, I think I will go for a walk. Might even make it all the way to Brighton (which for those of you who don’t know the geography of Brighton and Hove, is only about fifteen/twenty minutes down the main road until you’re magically in Brighton).

No big plans for the rest of the week other than going to London on Thursday to take a look at a flat near Finsbury Park. I wasn’t planning on looking for a flat until I found a job, but this one is an excellent price for all that is included and if the couple who live there are as nice as they seem and the place is in a decent location it might be wise to get in while I can… I think everyone can agree that finding an affordable place to live (especially in a city like London) and good people to share it with is not an easy feat.

Happy 2009 everyone. I hope your year is starting off as happy as mine. (I will write a New Year type entry in the next day or two).

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm so happy to read an account of your first days back!! I can't wait to read more and see photos! xox

Anonymous said...

woot woot tescos!! miss you lady xoxo