Wednesday 8 July 2009

i'm back

Note to my (loyal) readers: I am willing to overlook the significant gap in entries if you are… I think I am ready to say that I am back to regular blogging. Fingers crossed. In 5…4….3….2…1!

I am working as a Visitor Assistant at a VERY well known location in London. I deal with people from around the globe on a daily basis. I converse in English and French and somehow manage to communicate to native Italian, Spanish, German, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Greek, etc. speakers all the time without any knowledge of these languages whatsoever (save a few choice words in the first few languages, and “Monday” in Japanese – get in!) I stand for nearly eight hours a day and while I have gotten used to the sore feat and tense shoulders that come from slightly less-than-perfect posture, I do enjoy the moments I get throughout the day to sit down.

I am living in North London with two lovely girls. One is from the wilds of Bristol and the other from the very ordinary corner of West Africa. We get along very nicely and have a laugh together as often as possible. Though, I think it’s fair to say we ALL love having the house to ourselves when that does happen.

I am single at the moment, though there is a certain someone I’ve had my eye on for quite some time now and I think I would like to see where that might go… we’ll see.

I am happy. Despite my mother’s near constant concern that I am lonely, depressed, scared, homesick, etc. I am enjoying the independence and freedom of living so far from the ordinary and familiar surroundings of home. Yes, I miss my family and my friends and my hometown, but I am still happy here. Admittedly I have moments of wishing I was there instead of here. Moments wondering what on earth I’m doing on this side of the world in a job that doesn’t challenge me (no, communicating with non-English speakers is NOT challenging enough thankyouverymuch!). Moments when I would like to have the luxury of a big enough bank account to pop home for a visit more often. But those moments don’t add up to the same total number of moments of good that I’m experiencing here.

I love the rain, but I also love the way London looks in blazing hot sunshine. I hate riding the tube, but I love the Victoria line. I hate tourists, but I love tourists. I hate when strangers assume I am American (and don’t seem to understand what Canadian is), but I love meeting “fellow Americans”. I hate my job, but I love the buildings I work in and so many of the people I interact with on a daily basis. I hate living outside of Canada, but I love being part of the minority.

More to come soon… I hope.

1 comment:

Ganga Fondan said...

Hello Beautiful Girl,
Wonderful to hear your love-hate triumphs on the other side of the world. Scott says to say hi and so does Anya. So many newbies, I don't know who you know and don't. Hmmmm who is this male that you have your eye on and which eye? Ha ha ha. Great to see you blogging again. I'm just working on my cd now and my website should be ready soon. Then who knows...I may be tripping around Europe. :) Take care of yourself,

Ganga