Tuesday 27 January 2009

Life with the Brits

As I still haven't downloaded any of the photos I've taken (I haven't taken that many yet to be honest), I thought I'd draw you a few mental pictures of my life over here with my very generous friends.

Life with Alli - she kindly gave up her bedroom for me for the first leg of my trip. I spent about 12 days at her place and while the heating was a bit dodgy at times, it was a very warm and welcoming home away from home. She lives very close to the big Tesco which made food shopping a real pleasure. She lives on a quiet street which made sleeping at night very relaxing. She and I have been friends for nearly six years so we had lots of girl talk and during a somewhat stressful time in my life it was really, really good to be with such a wonderful friend for such an extended stay. CHEERS, ALLISON!

Life with Chris and Rach - sacrificing any 'alone time' and eating breakfast in the kitchen instead of sat at the table in the living room (aka my bedroom), they were so generous and kind to let me stay for longer than planned. Their flat is in an ideal location, close to everything I could possibly need and even closer to El Taco than I remembered : ) Their flat is nice and warm with lovely high ceilings and a fantastic collection of cook books! They made me feel very much at home, allowing me to share in the cooking and washing up and even though the air bed I gave them a couple years back has a slow leak these days, I had some very peaceful and relaxing nights at their home. CHEERS, CHRIS AND RACHEL!

Life with Jack and Jen - my London abode. Very generously welcoming me into their flat for three weeknights, they fed me well (delicious Haggis c/o Jen!), fed my internet obsession with broadband access anytime I needed it, and allowed me a warm and cosy place to watch the Obama Inauguration ceremony. If their company wasn't enough, the company of Jen's kitten, Finn, made the mornings on my own so much more enjoyable. She is a lovely little cat who runs crazily all over the flat, but also follows you around very sweetly and climbs up on your lap when you're relaxing. Lots of good conversation and an easily accessible location in East London made my stay with them a lot of fun. CHEERS, JACK AND JEN!

Life with Ru - back in Hove, actually. His flat is shared with two other very friendly and kind Brits called Cheryl and Alan. Their flat is warm, clean, spacious and fully hooked up to all of the media I need (landline, broadband and TV). It's been mainly mornings and late evenings here because of Ru's work schedule (I don't fancy hanging around with the flatmates when they may want their alone time after work, so I tend to come and go according to Ru's schedule), but the time I spend here is very comfortable and enjoyable and I've already been here six nights and while I don't want to overstay my welcome I am in no real hurry to leave. CHEERS, RU and flatmates.

So that's that for now. Hope you are all well. Miss and love all of you who are far away from me.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'm so glad you have been so welcomed! And where are you on the flat situation??

ps - You know what? I never went to El Taco. Not once. Hmmm...